Friday, March 16, 2007

Week 4 Into Week 5

Wow, week 4 really flew by for me. So, what have we all been up to? Well, we have been:
Stretching, Getting excellent Self-Care, Finding Joy, Remembering our own Value, Reveling in Excitement, Noticing the details, Finding beauty, Recognizing our accomplishments, Encouraging ourselves, Naming our critics, and so much more. I'm really thrilled to be part of such an amazing group. You are all such brave, talented, fascinating, creative souls (and yes, that means you!) So, my deepest gratitude for all you've shared, the support you've doled out, the risks and baby steps you've taken. Remember to celebrate what you have done instead of beating yourself up for what you didn't!

This week we worked on a sense of balance. I did find a bit more balance in my life this week as I've been incorporating some art into each day and I also managed to do some walking and some yoga. Once again, this week's theme, Uncovering a Sense of Autonomy, seems to have such serendipitous timing. It just so happens that Wednesday is my last day at a job I've been at for 6 years. I'm about to undergo a major career shift, one that requires a lot of self-discipline and self-direction (something that doesn't come easy to me.) There are things that make it easier, such as knowing what works for me and what doesn't. Learning what works for us and doesn't is so important. For me, that takes some time to figure out, so I want to pass on a couple of things I've learned doing Cameron's books, in the hopes that it will help you find what works best for you. I've tried it both ways, reading the chapter over the course of the week and reading the whole thing the first day and I've found that it's better for me to finish the chapter early, so that I can process the information and work with it throughout the week. If I don't have time to read the new chapter during the weekend, then I at least like to read the divining rods. Some of them take a little planning, so it's good to know what they are ahead of time.

Doing this work in such a big group, it can be hard to keep up with what everyone else is up to. After the first week or so, I decided to make a bloglines folder for all the Finding Water blogs. This way I knew when people had updated and I wasn't wasting my time, clicking on all the blogs when maybe only a couple had a new post. (I heart bloglines.) It takes some time to set up, but once that's done it makes life much easier. While I'm speaking about the blogroll, Jessie and I have removed a few people who have said they can not continue with the book for various reasons and some who it seemed were not participating. If we have taken your blog off and you are still participating, please say so and we'll add you back immediately! Or if you are on the list and know you are not continuing with the group, feel free to comment or email and we'll take you off the list. I figure it's easier to remove links of blogs who aren't doing the book, so there will be fewer blogs to check in on! I'm not upset if people are not continuing on with the group, I believe Jessie said that this was to be expected in her initial post. This book won't be for everyone and for some the timing will be all wrong. That's ok. For those of us that are getting something out of it and are struggling a bit, hang in there, keep trying, don't give up. You will get out of this process what you put into it, whether that's a little or a lot, it's all good. I've enjoyed seeing the connections made, making new connections, and being inspired by all of you.

I think this process, particularly the artist's dates and morning pages are about building self-integrity. You are committing to treating yourself as the beautiful, creative soul you are and from that space, it's so much easier to bloom. It's snowing here in Massachusetts, big wet flakes, but my art is all about spring this week. I think it has to do with the growth I'm feeling under the surface of my own skin and all around me, in you. Remember to take especially good care of yourself!

xoxo,
Leah
Creative Every Day

10 comments:

gma said...

Thank you for your bravery and support to all of us! You are so right about morning pages. Doing the work builds self-integrity.
When we keep promises to ourselves
we get closer to what's really us.

Joanna said...

I have been removed from the side, I can see that it seems that I havent been taking part because I don't share much about the experience in my blog. I struggle with morning pages although I do do a bit everyday even though my inner voice is competing with a 3yr old child, and some weeks it feels as if the changes I want to see in my life are not happening as I should want them but I am still here, treading water, and moving forward week by week, I would like to feel like I'm still part of the group if that's possible.

Jessie said...

thanks, jo! you've been put back on the blogroll.

if anyone else sees their name missing, but IS participating in finding water...PLEASE let leah or i know and we will add you back onto the list.

Joanna said...

Thankyou Jessie

Laura said...

Hi,
I have to agree with you on the self interity. I really love it when I'm working on my self in a way that I feel so strong in the self interity parts. Not always is it there but mostly. Here is something that I read this morning, The Greatest gift I can give myself is my own attention. And when I'm doing any AW book that is what I feel that I'm giving myself a gift.
be well
~v~

Anonymous said...

I haven't been posting much about the book or insights lately because I feel like it's turned to a dark side so to speak, lol.

So much negativity and using words like "despair", and being at our bleakest and "elusive joy". This week especially is all about her 12 steps program.

I've even read a chapter ahead and I'm just not feeling the book right now...maybe I will in future chapters.
a.

Sandra said...

Please add me again to the list. Just posted on my blog about FW - back at chapter one.

I am behind the group but am inspired by your journey. Loved working through the AW 10 years ago and am pleased to see again the power of Julia Cameron as I start FW.

Leah said...

jo and mamalooper, thanks for letting us know you are still participating! i'm glad! :-)

Bette Norcross Wappner -- said...

thanks for your inspiring and helpful post, leah. i want to also tell you that i put your name on my calendar tomorrow (Wed.) to remember to send you good thoughts for your last day of work and to think of you for your future successes.

and as you say...getting to know what works for us and what doesn't is such a good and stable feeling :)

MANY THANKS TO YOU AND TO JESSIE FOR FLOATING THE BOAT FOR OUR BLOGS!!!

take care!
bette.

Anonymous said...

Yay!!!
I had a fabulous Artist Date!
Thanks to you & Jessie for your encouragement and support.
This is rocking my world!